Monday, November 27, 2006

Mega Maintenance Post

I haven't updated in a while...I've been thinking of tracking my maintenance and consumable data here in this blog.

When I bought the bike in May 2006, it had about 3600 miles on it. It is now at about 4050 miles. In that time I:
1. Bought a new battery
2. Removed, disassembled, cleaned, and balanced the carbs
3. Got new tires
4. Changed the oil
5. Tensioned and lubed the chain
6. Replaced the plugs
7. Replaced the plug wires
8. Replaced the 5K ohm spark plug boots with non-resistance boots.
9. Replaced the semi-custom bars with bars from a european-model XS650
10. Set the valve clearances
11. Replaced the intake manifold rubber boots (see future post about why)
12. Replaced the slide return springs in the carb (see future post about why)
13. Replaced O-ring around neutral indicator switch

In this time, I have gotten between 49 and 55 MPG in town. I haven't done much highway riding. Strangely, more conservative riding didn't result in better gas mileage.

I plan on updating this blog with future maintenance along with exact mileages as I complete them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Frankie said...

the o-ring replacement you did on the neutral assembly did you use like a regular hardware store black o-ring or did you order the yamaha oem one.

10:10 PM  
Blogger veloandy said...

Just a hardware store item...it worked well.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Ash Green said...

Wow :)
This is an incredible collection of ideas!
Waiting for more helpful pieces.
You would amazing to read a similar one here-
battery mode on

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home