Monday, September 17, 2007

Parts Ordered

OK...So I ordered the parts to *hopefully* improve the handling of my XS400. They should arrive soon and I'll get to work installing them!
ITEMSourcePricePic
Bronze swing arm bushings www.mikesxs.net $38.00
Fork Gaiters www.mikesxs.net $20
Stock 2002 Harely Road King Rear Air Shocks ebay $48 + $15 shipping
Tapered Roller Steering Head BearingsFort Collins Motorsports (ordered from Parts Unlimited) $35.95
TOTAL
$156.95
I found a cool article describing replacing a leaking xs650 petcock with a universal kit for around $25 here. The procedure should be identical on an XS400. When my steering head bearings arrive, I'm going to check if the motorcycle shop can order these parts too.

I'm excited to have a project and a reason to update this blog again. I'm also excited to see how these parts change the handling and stability of my bike. More to come!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am very interested in your blog... I have an XS400 with some problems that you have experienced. Please email me so that I can talk to you about them.

4:09 AM  
Blogger veloandy said...

Hey Brent,

I don't have your email address...

Basically my advice would be to:
1. Make sure your aircleaners and exhaust are on the bike
2. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks
3. Make sure your carbs are clean (by cleaning them out and maybe replacing the pilot jets with the same size that's in there) and that the diaphrams don't have any holes.
4. Check your mixture settings using a colortune.

I'd be happy to talk to you more about specific issues...let me know your email and I'll get back to you eventually.

Good luck!
-Andy

10:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Andy, how are you?

I recently cleaned out my carburetors and put them back together. I took it for a quick ride and it still seemed a little boggy in the upper 3/4 range. I figured that I needed to get the carbs balanced and possibly adjust the height of the needles. Before I had a chance to do this, the bike started leaking gas about two days later back out of the air side (any ideas why?). I took the carbs back off and opened them up and they looked dirty again. I haven't had them back on since (about 3 weeks) and I just bought new main and pilot jets and new float needles. I checked the height of the floats and the seemed a bit off so I bent them to the specification in my workshop manual. I'll be cleaning them back out soon and installing the new jets.

Thanks for any info you may have.

-Brent

4:02 AM  
Blogger JayKay said...

Hey Andy,

Would you happen to have a part number for "Tapered Roller Steering Head Bearings"?

I can't seem to find them on the website you linked to the blog.

Thank you,
Joe
( beautifully.grotesque@gmail.com )

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home